Get information on parent education events, community outreach projects, and special visits/performances going on at the Family Resource Center. Here's what's on the horizon...
Parent Education Events
Be sure to mark your calendars for:
Challenge Success: The Well-Balanced Child
Wednesday, October 10, 7:00–8:30pm, Children's Center Multi (Register)
Mary Hofstedt, the community education director for Stanford University’s Challenge Success Program, will discuss how today’s high-pressure culture can interfere with healthy child development. While your children are still young, it is important that your family establish practices that buffer against these pressures and enable children to flourish. Come discuss research-based strategies for raising healthy preschoolers and explore how to encourage autonomy, cultivate resilience, and manage media use. Please register for this free event here
Coffee Talk: How to Keep Your Kids Eating Healthy in This Mac ’n’ Cheese World
Wednesday, November 14, 9:30–11:00am
Come enjoy a cup of coffee and a presentation by church member and RDN Wendy Hafner Smith. Wendy will discuss how to create healthy eating habits for your children, how to be a strong feeder in order to make strong eaters, the key nutrients kids need for healthy bodies and brains, easy and family-friendly recipes and dinner ideas, and how as a busy parent you can make healthy eating choices.
The Children’s Center is committed to making a positive difference in the lives of all children in our greater community. We strive to participate in 4–5 philanthropic activities per school year that will be meaningful and approachable for the preschoolers. We believe that nurturing community service is an important and fundamental value for all children. This past year we participated in the following activities:
• Project Night Night — We collected gently used and new books to help support children in shelters.
• Community Services Agency — We collected over 400lbs of food during our Halloween Hoot Festivities.
• Head Start in Mountain View — We collected a new pair of PJ's and a stuffed animal for every child in their program to help make their Christmas a bit more magical. Plus, winter coats, boots, hats, scarves and gloves for Head Start Families.
• In the Spring we collected books for Help One Child & The Creative Montessori Learning Center of East Palo Alto.
Our Next Philanthropy Event:
Compassion Week Projects
September 24 – October 1 (Learn more or Sign up)
The Los Altos United Methodist Church's Compassion Week is a week of outreach and service. No matter how young your children are, there is a way to make a positive difference! During Compassion Week here at the Children's Center, your children will be decorating lunch bags and placemats for Hope's Corner. These bags will then be filled with nutritional food by other volunteers and distributed to local families in need.
If you and your family would like to participate in a Compassion Week Activity, we encourage you to check out the Compassion Week website and sign-up for a volunteer opportunity. Philanthropic activities are a perfect way to teach kindness and instill a lifelong value of helping others.
Special Visits & Performances
Here at the Children’s Center we strive to make each day colorful and fun! To meet this goal, we delight in scheduling special events for the preschoolers. Some of our favorite special events have included:
• Interactive Author Visits — Such as Christie Matheson, the author of Touch the Magic Tree and Touch the Brightest Star
• Jump Rope Performers — Our preschoolers were literally jumping with joy as they watched the Stanford Jump Rope Team perform their amazing jump rope feats!
• Special Dance Performances — Greene School of Irish Dance on St. Patrick's Day and a Cinco de Mayo performance by the Los Altos High School’s Latino Student Union Dancers. What a blessing to experience music and dancing from different cultures!
• An amazing Bubble Performance — by Sterling Johnson, The Bubblesmith
If you have questions about an event, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.