Get information on parent education events, community outreach projects, and special visits/performances going on at the Family Resource Center. Here's what's on the horizon...
Parent Education Events
Be sure to mark your calendars for:
Parent Welcome Coffees
August 30 & 31, 9:00–10:00am, Redwood Room
We invite you to join us for a cup of coffee and a breakfast treat right after drop off on the first day of school. Come meet other parents, hear about upcoming Children's Center activities, and enjoy an opportunity to mingle. No RSVP required.
Heidi & Dee Coffee Talk
Tuesday, September 12, 9:00–10:30am, Live Oak Room (Register)
Our Directors, Heidi Bliss and Dee Gray, will lead a relaxed discussion on Parenting Preschoolers. Take advantage of this wonderful opportunity to learn some parenting tips, meet other preschool parents, and relax while enjoying coffee and breakfast treats.
This is a free event and all are welcome. We just ask that you please register so we can be adequately prepared. Childcare is available on an as-needed basis — contact Bryn Stuebner.
Female Friendships: Building Community & Keeping True to Oneself
Wednesday, September 20, 9:45–10:45am, Creekside Center (Register)
Relationships are the foundation and the fuel of our lives. Some of our most important and sustaining relationships are our friendships. Friendships between women are known to be especially significant and enriching. They can also be tricky to navigate, especially in the midst of conflict. Join us as we discuss the importance of our girlfriends (especially in the early parenting years). Come learn tips on how we can make these amazing relationships stronger and even better. Please register in advance for this free event.
Infant/Child CPR Certification
Tuesday, September 26, 6:00–9:00pm, Children's Center Multi-Purpose Room (Register | Learn more)
Do you know what to do if your preschooler started choking? What if your little one needed CPR? Has getting certified in CPR been on your "list" for a while and you haven't gotten around to it? If so, we have just the class for you. Join other CC Parents for an Infant/Child CPR Class on Tuesday, September 26th from 6:00–9:00pm. Space is limited, so please sign-up quickly. Cost for this certification is $45. Simply register online and bring a check for $45.00 made out to CPRescue to Bryn's desk in the CC Office. (Cash is accepted, too).
Connecting with Your Child Everyday
Wednesday, October 11, 7:00–8:30pm, Creekside Center (Register)
Family Coach, Motivational Speaker, and Author, Susan Stone Belton uses humor and real life situations to show you how to build a healthy, loving, and close relationship with your children. Learn why spending time with your children is the most important thing a parent can do, and learn new communication techniques that help to develop close bonds. You will leave the workshop knowing how to create new family traditions and life-long memories. Please join us for this informative, thought-provoking, and entertaining presentation. This event is FREE ... invite your family and friends!
TBA, Family Resource Center/Bryn's Office (Register | Learn more)
Would you like to be a part of an informal parenting education book group? Our first book of the year will be the new "it" book, "How to Raise an Adult" by Julie Lythcott-Haims. Please register online if you are interested. Bryn will contact you once she receives your sign-up to get your date and time preference.
The Children’s Center is committed to making a positive difference in the lives of all children in our greater community. We strive to participate in 4–5 philanthropic activities per school year that will be meaningful and approachable for the preschoolers. We believe that nurturing community service is an important and fundamental value for all children. This past year we participated in the following activities:
• Project Night Night — We collected gently used and new books to help support children in shelters.
• Community Services Agency — We collected over 400lbs of food during our Halloween Hoot Festivities.
• Head Start in Mountain View — We collected a new pair of PJ's and a stuffed animal for every child in their program to help make their Christmas a bit more magical. Plus, winter coats, boots, hats, scarves and gloves for Head Start Families.
• In the Spring we collected books for Help One Child & The Creative Montessori Learning Center of East Palo Alto.
Special Visits & Performances
Here at the Children’s Center we strive to make each day colorful and fun! To meet this goal, we delight in scheduling special events for the preschoolers. Some of our favorite special events have included:
• Interactive Author Visits — Such as Christie Matheson, the author of Touch the Magic Tree and Touch the Brightest Star
• Jump Rope Performers — Our preschoolers were literally jumping with joy as they watched the Stanford Jump Rope Team perform their amazing jump rope feats!
• Special Dance Performances — Greene School of Irish Dance on St. Patrick's Day and a Cinco de Mayo performance by the Los Altos High School’s Latino Student Union Dancers. What a blessing to experience music and dancing from different cultures!
• An amazing Bubble Performance — by Sterling Johnson, The Bubblesmith
If you have questions about an event, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.